When they learn to count, children see sums everywhere, some are even invisible to adults, such as, for example, they can add the candles in the room, the number of cars they have, etc. To continue working on the simplest mathematical operations, this time we propose (drum roll) The fabulous home game of yogurt jars! It is an ideal activity to teach children to add in a more practical way.
This exercise is thinking for children who are learning addition. It is an activity that can be adapted according to the age of the boys and girls. For example, with 4 year olds (from the second cycle of Early Childhood Education), we can make sums whose result does not exceed the number 10. But as they grow older, we can make the sums a little more complicated.
- Liquid yogurt jars
- Colored or plain popsicle sticks
- Eva rubber
- Eva rubber numbers (optional)
When the boys and girls begin to add at school, they return home and want to continue adding or counting all the objects they find on their way. It is his way of showing us adults that they are capable and that they know how to do it. They seek the approval of the adults around them and we must take advantage of these situations. How? With activities like this and looking around us as if we were boys and girls again.
To carry it out, you have to follow these 5 simple steps. You can prepare everything yourself or involve the children and spend a fun afternoon of crafts. Being a simple step-by-step, with easily available materials, children can participate in the manufacture, but Always with adult supervision!
Let's go there:
1. We clean the inside of the liquid yogurt jars well and let them dry well.
2. If we have numbers of rubber foam we glue each number in a boat. If you don't have eva rubber numbers, you can make them quickly at home. I explain it to you in the next step.
3. With a pencil We draw the number on the eva rubber sheet, cut and paste. You can use materials of different colors to make your game look more beautiful and, in addition, you work the colors too. It can be a good opportunity, for example, to name the different colors in English while you make it.
4. We repeat the same operation with the addition symbol (+) and the equal (=).
5. We can decorate the ice cream sticks with drawings or painting them in different colors to make them more beautiful.
And voila, it only remains to form sums and introduce as many sticks as necessary.
This craft is very entertaining for children. It is great to teach children to add in a more practical way and therefore allows them to understand this mathematical concept. To make the exercise even more enriching, it can be done in several different ways:
- They are the boys and girls themselves who add sums themselves.
- The adult gives them the sum for them to calculate the result.
- The adult instead of showing the pots with the numbers, place the clubs so that they look for the pots corresponding to the amount of each suit.
As many sticks are introduced as each boat indicates, in this way the boys and girls carry out the counting and the concept of adding will be more visual for them, which is 'add', 'add', etc.
There are several benefits that children obtain by carrying out this activity, among them I highlight the following:
- Attention, concentration and observation
Throughout the process, it is essential to capture the attention, concentration and observation of the children, as a means for the result to be satisfactory. We will achieve this with a calm climate and by carrying out the activity in an environment in which the little ones feel comfortable, with adequate light conditions.
When it comes to finding the result, the boy and girl must discriminate and differentiate the number. Thus discarding the one that does not correspond.
- Fine psychomotor skills
Taking and inserting each stick into the corresponding pot. Children work on hand-eye coordination, in addition to practicing hand movements such as the pincer.
- Self-esteem and self-confidence
By having worked the sums in a playful, entertaining and fun way, we get children to have confidence in themselves when facing mathematics, that they feel safe when they are in front of them, in this way we will be enhancing their self-esteem and confidence and firmness, which will be key in their future when they face this matter.
I encourage you to try this game with your students or children. They will love studying math in such a fun way!