How many afternoons have we spent at home without knowing what to do to entertain our children, grandchildren, cousins ...? Here I bring you a simple activity to develop together with the children and that thanks to it they will develop and enhance skills, as well as expand their vocabulary. Is about a stimulation set with zippers for babies between 1 and 2 years old.
Most adults who are in contact with children of these ages are not aware of everything they are capable of learning and doing. They need to explore their closest environment and live stimulating experiences that connect the learning already acquired to give way to the development of new ones, It is what we know as meaningful learning.Therefore, here I bring you an activity suitable for this age and that promises to offer you afternoons and very fun and playful moments at home, boredom is over!
- Hard cardboard
- Scissors or cutter
- Colored zippers
- Glue gun
- Silicone bar
By following these simple five steps we can carry out our activity:
1. With scissors or utility knife we will cut out the cardboard to the size we need. This will vary depending on the number of zippers that we are going to use.
2. We will paint the cardboard with the brush and the painting (You can paint it in any color, I chose white to contrast with the other colors of the zippers and be more attractive). Later it is left to dry.
3. With the help of a ruler we will go making small marks on the cardboard in the place where we are going to glue the zippers, taking into account that the distance between each of them is the same or similar, thus we will achieve a more symmetrical and orderly effect.
4. Once the cardboard has dried we will go gluing each zipper one by oneWe will do it with the help of a silicone gun. We will glue the edges of the zippers to the cardboard, never in the central part since then we could neither open nor close them.
5. Check that all zippers go up and down. And we have finished our activity! Now we just have to enjoy and learn a lot with her.
This activity fundamentally develops fine motor skills, and you will ask yourself: what is psychomotor skills? And fine motor skills? Starting with the first question, it is defined as the relationship between the psychic activity (psyche) of the human mind and the capacity of the motor function that is translated mainly as the movement of the body. Therefore, fine motor skills involve precise movements, basically hand-eye coordination.
And what do we get by putting this activity into practice with children?
- We work on hand-eye coordination
Thanks to this activity, we will be developing eye-hand coordination, strength and precision of movements that are key elements for achieving fine motor skills.
- We promote concentration
In addition, we will be enhancing skills such as attention, concentration and observation that is so difficult to capture at these early ages. In this period, the development time of any activity is less than 10 minutes, since children get bored and tired easily looking for new stimuli with which to fix their attention again.
- We teach new vocabulary
Due to the characteristics of this activity we can expand the knowledge of vocabulary with the concepts of: colors and antonyms such as up-down, open-close or up-down.
- We work on the identification of colors
This activity can be presented to the boy or girl as free (the activity is given and we see what happens, we can guide on its use), directed (we can indicate the color of the zipper to use) or both.
In a directed way we can observe if the child is capable of discriminate and identify the color that we have suggested and thus see your progress every time we do it.
- We promote autonomy
By using an object of everyday life such as zippers in this case, we are promoting their personal autonomy and learning to raise and lower zippers, something so simple for adults but often complex for children. You only have to see them in the first year of school (2nd Cycle of Early Childhood Education) as many of them have difficulty when it comes to lowering and zipping up a coat or pants or opening and closing the backpack.
- We stimulate the bond with the child
If they are also carried out with an adult nearby, who also interacts with the activity and the child, the latter will also develop their social capacity, bonds of attachment will be created between that person and the child, giving us unique and unrepeatable moments.
Do not forget that all the activities you do for these ages (1-2 years), they should be presented to the child in an attractive way, with objects that are of interest to them and that they can repeat the activity over and over again.
No more boring moments in early childhood!