If there is one thing that most babies and children like is to play in the water, an activity that can help them in their development, but that should always be done under the supervision of a monitor, in case the child attends. to swimming lessons, or from the parents themselves. However, water can be quite a dangerous place for them and, often due to ignorance, parents choose to incorporate hoses or floats. Have you seen the latest on the market, neck floats? It is the latest fashion, but beware, we will tell you why are the neck floats not recommended for babies.
The neck floats They were made to hold children with disabilities in the water and were invented by a swimming teacher. They are made of a non-toxic material impossible to puncture, which is capable of supporting a weight of up to 25 kilos (the Spanish Academy of Pediatrics advises to avoid the use of floats that can deflate).
Lately its use has been extended to babies and children who cannot swim and, even, spas have been created where they use floats around the neck for the little ones to relax. We have researched about neck rings to keep babies floating in swimming pools and we tell you the conclusions we have reached about these accessories.
- Must be very careful with the size because you think about the risk that it is too large and may slip down: on the other hand, if it is too small it could squeeze the baby's neck.
- These floats restrict the movements of babies, since it isolates them from the environment and they cannot interact with anyone. The accessory does not allow children to experiment with and become familiar with water, nor does it facilitate the bond with their parents.
- They force to maintain a vertical position. The ring keeps babies in an upright position, which is the opposite of swimming, which keeps the body horizontal. By staying like this, your vertebrae are stressed from being in that position for too long.
- Neck floats, worn for a long time, could lead to compression of babies' necks, tensing the ligaments and muscles of the shoulders and back.
- It interferes with your neurological development. Some pediatricians have agreed that, if abused, the float can interfere with the head reflex that helps babies respond to their desire to sit up.
- Finally, if you decide to use them, take note of this warning: Don't ever wear the neck ring on the beach. The waves could make your baby swallow water.
According to the Spanish Association of Pediatrics (AEPED), the safest way to bathe in pools with babies is to hold them firmly in the arms of an adult, so let's forget the neck floats at the armpits or the cuffs. What we must do is keep the little one well restrained in our arms and, of course, always under our supervision and control.
The important thing is that we do not get distracted for a second when our children are in the water or to look at a message on the mobile or to talk with a friend that we have next to us. A trick that we give you is that the distance to the baby is not less than the length of the arm of the person who supervises it. Thus, if something happens, we will always have our baby within reach to react quickly.
You already know something else about neck rings or floats. The decision to use them or not is left to each parent, but remember that it is better to take a bath with your baby in your arms - it will strengthen the bond between you - and, above all, safer.
You can read more articles similar to Why are neck floats not recommended for babies?, in the category of child accidents on site.