There are many children who at the beginning of writing show little difficulties, either due to lack of attention when writing certain words or due to doubts about the rules of spelling. This usually causes them certain blocks and insecurities in the face of writing, something that with a little time, brief trainings and, why not, some imagination and fun can be solved. Can you imagine ucorrect spelling mistakes in children through play?
Practicing, both at home and at school, the famous dictations or copying words many times without fail are two of the most typically used resources. But below we propose a fun game beyond dictations and systematic copying, and that is We reinvented the traditional board game to correct spelling mistakes in children. We will work around two tasks to achieve our goal: spelling out aloud and drawing. Shall we start?
- We recommend using this board or game whenever there are signs of difficulty in spelling mistakes, be it a specific rule or more than one, or whenever we can appreciate insecurity or doubts when writing certain words.
- To play you only need a dice and some tokens (one for each player who participates). Make sure that your child is always with an adult who can supervise that the writing is correct and positively reinforce him when it is.
- Like any other board game, the theme is very simple. Participants start by rolling the dice to determine who starts the game. It will be the one who gets the highest score and the game will be followed from right to left. Whoever reaches the last box first will win. But in this case, in order to stay in the new place indicated by the dice and, therefore, continue advancing to reach the final square, we must pass one of the two tests that will be indicated on the same board: the spelling or the drawing, otherwise we will have to go back to the previous position. With this last rule, we will be able to keep the little ones motivated in the task of passing the different tests and moving towards the end of the board.
- The objective of this game is to encourage the child to train those complex words, focusing much more on their details. Surely, without the dynamic concept of play, writing words would arouse very little interest on the part of our son.
- You can create the board with your own hands or download the image above. If you create it on a sheet of paper or cardboard, the only extra material you will need will be two blocks of stickers of two different colors. Each color will correspond to a task, drawing or spelling.
- Another important resource will be to have a list of words in which the child habitually makes mistakes and even lists of words for certain spelling rules (for example: b / v, the letter h, capital letters, accentuation, etc.) .)
- The two tasks on the board indicated with two different colors of stickers correspond to 'spelling' (white color) and pictures (orange color). When we find the blue, we will have to spell back and forth a certain number of words from the previously chosen list, according to the age and level of difficulty that we want to agree on in the game. For example: if we get the word "had", we must spell h-a-b-í-a and a-í-b-a-h correctly. Instead, when placing ourselves in the other tone, we will have to copy the word on a separate sheet, add original drawings and reminders around the word to remember its more complex characteristics. For example: if we touch the word "caveman", to remember the "v" and the "i" we could draw a cave using the shape of the "v" and a spear for the accent.
Have you seen how easy and, above all, how fun it can be to study the spelling rules? Children will learn and parents ... we can review!
You can read more articles similar to Fun board game to correct spelling mistakes in children, in the On-site Learning category.